Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Prompt 34: Yummy Goodness


  I started working part-time at a bar in East Mesa, and almost every Monday night, once the bar closes and the employees are free to leave, we get into our cars and putt our way down a few blocks to AppleBee’s where we sit in their bar until closing. Now, I am not a beer kind of girl and I prefer to drink the slushier kinds of alcoholic beverages, but I’m not a huge margarita fan nor do I have much knowledge about any other drinks, so I decided to confide in a person who I thought would be an expert on the subject, the bartender herself. Once I found my seat at the bar, I called over Jenny (the usual bartender), “So I want a slushy drink but not a margarita. What can you make me that tastes amazing and is also blended?” She takes a moment to think with one hand on her forehead and the other on her hip and begins to concoct something in her head. Then her eyes light up, and she says, “I know the perfect drink! Give me one second.” So I watch as she begins to formulate my delicious drink, trying to keep track of the multiple ingredients being thrown into the blender. Eventually, I give up, and decide to just ask her for the recipe once she finishes. In just a few moments later, Jenny walks over with a massive pink slushy drink with a strawberry on the rim. She stands in front of me as I take my first sip…”Mmmm….tastes like sherbet!” Jenny looks relieved and excited that she made a drink from scratch that fit perfectly into my criteria. After consuming a few more sips, I clear my throat long enough to ask for the ingredients. “So Jenny what wonderful things did you put into this scrumptious drink of your’s?” Jenny looks back at the row of alcohol and flavors from which she drew her inspiration and replied, “Well, I took equal portions of sprite and lemonade, added a few pumps of raspberry syrup, a few pumps of strawberry syrup since raspberry can be a little weak in flavor, and then topped it off with vodka. Pretty simple once I figured out what to add together. So, it’s that good huh?” I nod enthusiastically and continue to consume the perhaps dangerous drink in front of me until I am forced to break due to an unbearable brain freeze.

No comments:

Post a Comment