Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Prompt 25: The Goog Knows Best

Today, my grandparents and me have decided to plow the weeds in my backyard during midmorning, and the sun is already starting to affect us physically. My grandfather has a hoe and has already been trucking away at the weeds in the dirt, my grandmother, being allergic to the sun, is taking a moment to rest in the shade and enjoy her freshly brewed ice tea, and I am with another hoe trying to keep up with my grandfather’s quickness.

  Goog (That’s what we call my grandmother) calls out to Bawpa (AKA “George” or grandpa), “Hun, don’t you think you should take a short break? Get out of the sun for a bit?”

Bawpa with tired and frustrated look responds, “No, I’m not thirsty. I’ll break in a few minutes.”

“Well honey, I just want to make sure you don’t get dehydrated. You know how harsh the Arizona sun can be.”

“I know, Kathy (AKA “Goog”), but I don’t want anything to drink.”

“Okay, I’m just saying when you start to feel tired, there will be a glass of nice cold ice tea waiting for you.”

I continue to savagely hoe away at the never-ending cluster of weeds while listening to their conversation, and when I take a moment to look up, I see Bawpa heading into the shade. I look at Goog to see what she has to say about it.

She graciously giggles, “I guess it just had to be his idea for him to want to take a break. I knew he was getting tired, I could tell by the way he was hoeing, he wasn’t going to make it much longer.”

“O Kathy, that’s not true.”

Goog replies, “Uh huh, fifty-three years been married. I think I know my own husband.”

“Okay Goog, sure. Whatever you say honey,” as he continues to drink the ice tea.

No comments:

Post a Comment