Thursday, March 10, 2011

Prompt 27: Aggressive NOT Welcome


  Are you a dog lover? Do you own any dogs yourself? If you do, have you ever taken your dog(s) to a dog park before? Well, if you have, then maybe you will understand what I am about to say: I don’t understand and I don’t like people who bring their aggressive dogs to a dog park.

  I have two dogs of my own, Tug and Gem, and I love them like they were my own children so when one of them gets upset or hurt, I act like a protective mother and come to their rescue every time.  And it has just been lately that I have begun to notice the abundance of aggressive dogs at the dog park. For instance, I watched as this one guy brought his boxer (not that the breed is known for aggressive behavior) to the park and right as he released the dog into the designated area, his dog went straight after the neck of another pup that was just innocently prancing around, admiring the smells. Now, if I were the owner of that victimized puppy, I would have been infuriated. I don’t care if that person thinks that by bringing his angry dog to the dog park, that miraculously his dog will become more docile…I don’t want my own puppies being the Ginny pig while the owner hopes for his dog to become more sociable.

   Even on a more objective perspective, who would put an aggressive dog in situation in which a lawsuit could occur? One bite and that owner can consider him/herself bankrupt because there will be medical bills, attorney fees, and if the owner of the victimized dog decides to sue, they can even claim emotional distress. And in a case of repetitive claims of violence against the aggressive dog, the owner might even be forced to put their own puppy to sleep. So why take the risk?

   If a person is so concerned with their dog’s social skills with other dogs, then instead of taking their dog to the dog park where there is little control over what might happen, they should take their dogs to obedience training or have the “Dog Whisperer” come to their house. I bet getting professional help would cost less then any legal fees or vet bills.  And if the sole purpose of taking their dogs to the dog park is for exercise, taking a dog for a walk around the neighborhood is just as effective, not to mention more conducive to their own health.

  So for all the owners of aggressive dogs out there, I just have one question for you: Can you please leave your aggressive dog at home?

No comments:

Post a Comment