Thursday, January 20, 2011

The Unexpected

   I never expected to fall for my brother's best friend, but I guess fate knew what was coming all along. I met Justin on a family bowling night (or at least that's what I'm told...I don't actually remember meeting him), and because he is my brother's best friend, I kept meeting him over and over again every time he stopped by the house or crashed on my mom's couch. It wasn't actually until my brother's birthday celebration that we ended up being placed next to each other at the dinner table and began talking. Immediately his sarcastic and arrogant personality showed its ugly head. I even remember telling him that I had never met anyone so conceited as my sister before. (which you need to meet my sister to understand) And apparently he did not consider that as harmless flirting, but more of an offense to his character. I soon learned after that night to be more sensitive when making accusations about his disposition even if it was just innocent joking.
            Eventually, though, I was able to get to know Justin on a deeper level, and find that there is more to him then the superficial ass…there’s a family man, a loyal companion, a trusting adult, and an ambitious soul. The one thing I love about him the most is that he is always saying, “Family comes first.” It would not matter if he were given the opportunity to take a vacation to Hawaii (which he does) or be a guest at his soon-to-be nephew or niece’s baptism, he would always choose the latter. And next to his love for his family, he is probably the most loyal person I have ever met. If he’s your friend, you will never have to worry about breaking down in the middle of nowhere…Justin would come find you. You would never have to worry if one of your cars was out of commission and you needed a ride to work every day…he’d take you. And you would never have to worry about leaving your property unattended…he would tend to it – even if that meant milking a cow at 6am – he would be there for you. He’s just that kind of a guy…always giving a helping hand and never demanding anything in return.
             Besides Justin having unconditional kindness and loyalty, he also has unexplained passion for the outdoors. This may be too personal to share, but for our first Valentine’s anniversary, Justin thought a great idea would be to take me pig hunting in the Sonoma hills...yes…P I G  H U N T I N G...for VALENTINE’s DAY. I guess nothing says, “I love you,” like a killed pig in 15 degree freezing cold weather, but Justin didn’t see the exploration as an inappropriate exclamation of love…he saw it as an opportunity to include me in a his passion for the outdoors and his favorite hobby. I’m just extremely ecstatic, though, that he’s a quick learner and figured out Valentine’s Day is not the day to introduce your loved one to a hunting extravaganza.
            So even though I wasn’t planning on dating Justin when we first met, I’m glad fate wanted me to be with a guy so thick skinned on the outside but so soft hearted on the inside.

No comments:

Post a Comment