Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Prompt #5 variation 2: Welcome to the World, Landon


  I can’t believe the day has finally come! Sara (my sister-in-law) has started contractions again for the second time in two days, but we are most definitely sure these aren’t Braxton Hicks contractions…she is being way to vocal for them to be fake. It is the 20th of October in 2009, as we make our way to the Kaiser hospital in Santa Rosa, California. Bryce (my brother) is driving as safely and as quickly as he can while I sit in the back seat reminding Sara of her breathing techniques and praying she doesn’t hyperventilate.  Even though we were just at the hospital yesterday, and the nurse had told us to come back when Sara’s water broke, we decided with her family history of having to induce labor, it would be smarter for us to come in a second time.  Luckily, we followed our instincts because Sara was admitted at 4 pm that evening, and it must have been seriously not even fifteen minutes before other family members began arriving to show their support and excitement.  Fortunately for Sara, she was placed in a private room to prepare her for the labor so all the family had time to come in and visit while she continued to reach the proper dilation.

  I’ve heard that contractions are the worst part of labor, and seeing Sara bent over trying to bare the pain makes me think that whoever I heard that from, is right. It’s even hard for me to watch, as she struggles through the “miracles of life.” And I can tell my brother is in emotional pain as I watch him try to calm Sara while rubbing her back. I can’t even imagine what he is thinking as he watches his wife bear this burden for which he can’t relieve any of it.  Soon, the clock strikes 8pm and the nurse comes in to give Sara her epidural.  Sara’s face seems more relaxed when the nurse announces what she’s about to do, however, Bryce’s face turns more timid as he turns to see the needle that is about to be plunged into Sara’s back. (He’s always been afraid of needles) Eventually the procedure is over, and Bryce’s attention is once again fully focused on Sara.
  Hours begin to pass…more family members arrive as others leave to prepare for their sleep. Sara is in full spirits, having total enjoyment over not feeling any more pain, and Bryce looks as if he hasn’t slept in days. The clock eventually rotates from 12am to 1am and then the pushing begins…Sara’s mom and my mom each take one of Sara’s sides and do the best they can to help the labor process, giving Bryce full access to Sara in order to calm and talk her through the final stages of labor.  It cracks me up hearing Bryce say, “You’re doing great honey…you’re doing so great…” and then hearing Sara reply, “That’s nice…but stop saying that!” At least there isn’t any profanity being thrown at each other or even punches for that matter. Then…at 2:07am on October 21st, little Landon Carl Fraser is welcomed into the world. 

   Everything happened so quickly...one moment the umbilical cord is being severed and then bam! Landon is being taken to the emergency area because he isn't able to get a full breath and his skin color is not a pinkish color but more of a yellow tint. I hear Sara as she yells to Bryce to make sure he stays with Landon as the nurses take him away, and I watch as Bryce quickly trails behind the OB nurse down the hall. I hope Landon will be alright...maybe he just has a little jaundice and hopefully if there's fluid in his lungs, the hospital staff will correct that. And shortly after, (which probably seems like an eternity to Sara), both Bryce and Landon returned the room, where he was placed in Sara's arms for the first time. I wish I had thought to bring my camera because seeing those three together, as a family, would have been the perfect shot. 

No comments:

Post a Comment