Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Week 3 Reviews

Alyssa: The “Juxtaposition” blog you posted was a very interesting twist to your writing. You showed that you are capable of very different style of writing. I thought the interruptions for the breaking news in quotes was a clever way to intertwine what was happening in your life, then what was happening in your sister’s life, and then what was occurring in Tuscan at the same time. I might just be a slow processor, but it did take me a few tries to get the understanding of what was being written; however, once the light bulb turned on in my head, I found the blog to very creative. The “Peeling back Layers” blog is incredible. The amount of detail and fluidity in the writing almost makes me feel like I am the dancer moving across the floor. It was very easy to get into the movements and visualize what was happening as the lyrics played. Great job!

Jesus: In prompt #9, I liked how you utilized the font to help the reader understand what was going on. I don’t know much about music or Elliot Smith so I was glad to see you give a little detail about him and what he meant to you. My favorite line in the blog is, “someone’s sister’s boyfriend’s cousin,” because it definitely emphasized the rumor effect. For Prompt #8, the line you chose from Charles Hawtrey and the Deaf Aids was perfect for the story that followed. I really enjoy how you are able to give so many different points of views in your stories, like when you switch from a narrator’s perspective to dialogue. One question, just out of curiosity, before that trip through the desert, had you met your mother before? From what I understood, it seemed like that trip was at first awkward because you guys weren’t very close. I don’t mean to pry, I just wanted to make sure I didn’t misunderstand something.

John: Prompt 8, holy cow…I can definitely dive into the emotions you were feeling while writing it. I liked how you incorporated the lyrics to the song with what you were writing about. It was creative, and the tone of the song and your writing definitely shared a common thread. There was a poetic feel that enjoyed reading, and if there were anything that needed a little fixing, it would just be some punctuation marks. In Prompt 9, I loved the rantings about Charlie Sheen. All the sarcastic remarks makes the blog extremely entertaining, and you totally surprised me with the last two sentences of the blog. I did not expect it to end with Chuck needing to roll a joint, but it still adds to the comedic effect so I enjoyed it.

Miranda: In the blog, “Monsanto vs. Choice,” you made a very compelling argument about Americans being more worried about money than about health and public education. I liked how the blog was structured to give your life choices first, then Monsanto’s, and then your opinion on the matter. It has a great beginning, middle, and end. In “I Don’t Care,” the way you matched the lyrics with your feelings was great. I really admire how you were able to tell the story without actually spilling out the details…it was nice to read the lyrics and follow along as the story unfolds and more details become obvious. Very creative and it was really easy to get into.

1 comment:

  1. Hello! Good question. This is a hard one to answer simply. I had met my mother, but I didn't really know her. When I was growing up, my parents were busy and I was free to do as I pleased, so I kind of raised myself. Also, I've always been a bit of an independent introvert. And I'm pretty self-absorbed, so unless I make the effort to care about someone, they stop existing to me if I don't see them everyday. I'm not really close to my family, so even now, there's always awkwardness during any reunion.

    ReplyDelete